System Progress Reports
Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplantation System Progress Report - 2018
In 2018, a total of 223 Canadians died while waiting for a suitable transplant opportunity. For every patient in Canada who receives a lifesaving organ transplant, there are two on a waitlist. As such, there remains much work yet to be done.
The results reflected in this report represent the individual and collective work of the provincial and territorial partners, organ donation programs, and transplant programs as well as the national efforts led by Canadian Blood Services.
- The generous gifts of 1,317 organ donors and 4,824 tissue donors and their families saved or improved the lives of thousands of Canadian patients.
- 2,829 Canadians received a life changing transplant.
- 2018 saw the first decline in deceased donation in eight years, resulting in a 6% drop in the national transplant rate compared to 2017.
- In 2018, there were 762 deceased organ donors in Canada. In addition, there were 555 living organ donors.
- The Kidney Paired Donation program has facilitated an average of three transplants every two weeks from 2010 to 2018, transplants that wouldn’t have been possible without interprovincial organ sharing.
- Canada still has a shortage of organs, with approximately 4,351 patients waiting for transplants at year’s end 2018.
- In 2018, 223 Canadians died while waiting for a transplant, down from 242 in 2017
Read the full report: Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplantation - System Progress Report 2018
Previous System Progress Reports
- 2017 OTDT System Progress Report Update
- 2016 OTDT System Progress Report Update
- 2006-2015 OTDT System Progress Report
Interprovincial Program Reports
- Donation and Transplantation Interprovincial Programs Report 2009-2016 (full report)
- Donation and Transplantation Interprovincial Programs Report 2009-2015 (full report)
- Donation and Transplantation Interprovincial Programs Report 2009-2014 (full report)
- Data, analytics and reporting system workshop (June 2013)
- OTDT professional survey (February 2011)
- Views toward organ and tissue donation and transplantation (public survey) (July 2010)
- Report on the ethics consultation (January 2011)
- Call to action