The content on this page is specific for January - February 2023 Transfusion Camp.
Introduction to Congenital Bleeding Disorders (Dr. Natasha Rupani)
Reversal of Antiplatelets & Direct Anticoagulants (Dr. Carolyn Elbaz)
Massive Hemorrhage: Pathophysiology & Evidence-based Management (Dr. Jeannie Callum)
Massive Hemorrhage Protocol: Translation to the Real World (Dr. Katerina Pavenski)
Seminar 3A: Bleeding Assessment and Anticoagulants/Antiplatelets
Seminar 3B: Massive Transfusion
See General Information Program Brochure document for detailed agenda.
To view the lectures recordings on YouTube, open the video and click on the playlist icon in the top right-hand corner to select your lecture of interest.
Please note: To effectively participate in the seminars, you must watch the recorded lectures prior to attending the seminars.
1. Introduction to congenital bleeding disorders (Dr. Natasha Rupani)
2. Reversal of antiplatelets & direct anticoagulants (Dr. Carolyn Elbaz)
3. Massive Hemorrhage: Pathophysiology & Evidence-based management (Dr. Jeannie Callum)
4. Massive Hemorrhage Protocol: Translation to the Real World (Dr. Katerina Pavenski)
If you wish to submit your questions about any of the lectures to your seminar lead prior to the seminar session, you may submit them here.
Transfusion Camp for nurse practitioners Module 3: Bleeding management & massive hemorrhage protocols, summary highlights.
1. Rydz A, James PD. Approach to the Diagnosis and Management of Common Bleeding Disorders. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2012.
2. Piran S, Schulman S. Treatment of bleeding complications in patients on anticoagulant therapy. Blood. 2019 Jan; 133(5); 425-435.
3. Elbaz C, Sholzberg M. An illustrated review of bleeding assessment tools and common coagulation tests. Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2020;4:761–773.
4. Thrombosis Canada. NOACS/DOACS: Coagulation tests. 2018 Nov. 5p
5. Thrombosis Canada. NOACS/DOACS: Perioperative management. 2019 Apr. 7p.
6. Callum JL, Yeh CH, Petrosoniak A, McVey MJ, Cope S, et al. A regional massive hemorrhage protocol developed through a modified Delphi technique, CMAJ OPEN 2019; 7(3) :E546-E561.
7. Callum J. Ontario’s top 10 recommendations for Massive Hemorrhage Protocol. CMAJ. 2019.
Answers for the seminars are posted below once the Transfusion Camp module is completed.
Review the Guide for Participating in Seminars prior to attending the seminars.
Seminar 3A: Perioperative Bleeding Assessment
Seminar 3B: Massive, Disaster Bleeding Cases
1. Neonatal & Pediatric Transfusion (Dr. Lani Lieberman)