Day 3: Special Transfusion Situations – Maternal, Perioperative Bleeding Assessment, Sickle Cell Disease
The content on this page is specific for 2019-2020 Transfusion Camp. Content for 2020-2021 will start being updated approximately one month ahead of the live event held in Toronto. See General Information Schedules and Locations document for live event dates.
- Materials and YouTube links must not be used or distributed outside of Transfusion Camp without the consent of the Transfusion Camp organizers.
- Materials are provided for educational purposes only. They are not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a physician and should be assessed in the context of the applicable medical, legal and ethical requirements in any individual case.
Day 3 Overview
- Alloimmunization & Anemia in Pregnancy (Dr. Nadine Shehata)
- Bleeding Assessment & Approach to INR/PTT (Dr. Zachary Liederman)
- Seminar 3A: Perioperative Bleeding Assessment (Dr. Zachary Liederman)
- Sickle Cell Disease (Dr. Jacob Pendergrast)
- Seminar 3B: SCD & Transfusion (Dr. Jacob Pendergrast)
Note that breaks are included throughout the day. See General Information Program Brochure document for detailed agenda. Depending on your location, the event may provide refreshments and lunch. See General Information Schedules and Locations document for information.
Please get ready for Transfusion Camp by reading these publications (typically posted 1 month prior to the live event).
1. Webb J, Delaney M. Red Blood Cell Alloimmunization in the Pregnant Patient. Transfus Med Rev. 2018 Jun;32:213-219.
2. Rydz A, James PD. Approach to the Diagnosis and Management of Common Bleeding Disorders. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2012.
3. McCavit T, Desai P. Management of Acute Complications of Sickle Cell Disease: A Pocket Guide for the Clinician. Washington, DC: American Society of Hematology; 2014. 5p.
4. Ware RE, de Montalembert M, Tshilolo L, Abboud MR. Sickle cell disease. Lancet. 2017 Jan;390:311-323.
5. American Society of Hematology. 2012* Clinical Practice Guideline on the Evaluation and Management of von Willebrand Disease (VWD). Washington, DC: American Society of Hematology; 2012. 4p.
Slides of lectures are posted prior to the live event (typically posted 1 week prior but often the night before).
1. Alloimmunization & Anemia in Pregnancy (Dr. Nadine Shehata)
2. Bleeding Assessment & Approach to INR/PTT (Dr. Zachary Liederman)
3. Sickle Cell Disease (Dr. Jacob Pendergrast)
Recordings of lectures are posted after the live event (typically posted within 2 weeks). To view the lectures on YouTube, open the video and click on the playlist icon in the top right-hand corner to select your lecture of interest.
Answers for the seminars are posted after the last group of trainees has completed the Transfusion Camp day (this may take several months after the live event).
Seminar 3A: Perioperative Bleeding Assessment
Seminar 3B: SCD & Transfusion