The content on this page is specific for 2021-22 Transfusion Camp. Content for 2022-2023 will start being updated approximately one month ahead of the live event held in Toronto. See General Information Schedules and Locations document for live event dates.
Note that breaks are included throughout the day. See General Information Program Brochure document for detailed agenda. Depending on your location, the event may provide refreshments and lunch. See General Information Schedules and Locations document for information.
Please get ready for Transfusion Camp by reading these publications (typically posted 1 month prior to the live event).
1. AABB. Quick Reference Guide: NHSN Hemovigilance Module; Adverse Reactions Definitions. 2021 MAR. .
2. Bulle EB, Klanderman RB, Pendergrast J, Cserti-Gazdewich C, Callum J, Vlaar APJ. The recipe for TACO: A narrative review on the pathophysiology and potential mitigation strategies of transfusion-associated circulatory overload. Blood Rev. 2021 Oct 2:100891. doi: 10.1016/j.blre.2021.100891. PMID: 34627651.
3. Drews SJ, Van Caeseele P, Bullard J, Lindsay LR, Gaziano T, Zeller MP, Lane D, Ndao M, Allen VG, Boggild AK, O'Brien SF, Marko D, Musuka C, Almiski M, Bigham M. Babesia microti in a Canadian blood donor and lookback in a red blood cell recipient. Vox Sang. 2021 Aug 31. doi: 10.1111/vox.13198. PMID: 34462920.
4. O’Brien SF, Yi QL, Fan W, Scalia V, Goldman M, Fearon MA. Residual risk of HIV, HCV, and HBV in Canada. Transfus Apher Sci. 2017 Mar;56(3):389-391.
5. O'Brien, S. F., Drews, S. J., Yi, Q. L., Bloch, E. M., Ogden, N. H., Koffi, J. K., Lindsay, L. R., Gregoire, Y., & Delage, G. (2021). Risk of transfusion-transmitted Babesia microti in Canada. Transfusion, 61(10), 2958–2968.
6. TTISS-ON. Acute Transfusion Reaction Chart. 2020 OCT.
Slides of lectures are posted prior to the live event (typically posted 1 week prior but often the night before).
1. Informed Consent (Dr. Katerina Pavenski)
2. Acute & Delayed Transfusion Transmitted Infections (Dr. Steven Drews)
3. Acute Non-Infectious Reactions (Dr. Christine Cserti-Gazdewich)
4. Virtual Héma-Québec Tour (Dr. Nancy Robitaille)
5. Virtual Canadian Blood Services Tour (Dr. Michelle Zeller)
6. Delayed Non-Infectious Reactions (Dr. Waseem Anani)
Recordings of lectures are posted after the live event (typically posted within 2 weeks). To view the lectures on YouTube, open the video and click on the playlist icon in the top right-hand corner to select your lecture of interest.
Transfusion Camp 2021-2022 Day 2 Complications: Compatibility, Acute & Long Term Transfusion Risks & Errors, summary highlights.
Answers for the seminars are posted after the last group of trainees has completed the Transfusion Camp day (this may take several months after the live event).
Review the Guide for Participating in Seminars prior to attending the seminars.
Seminar 2A: Labile Component Reactions
Seminar 2B: “Delayed or Derivative” Transfusion Reactions